I suspect that there are a number of issues here.

One is compression and re-compression. HBO distributes the show to its
partners globally, and probably in a fairly high definition version. But
the local carrier than re-compresses that for delivery to homes. Different
carriers do very different things. I think it can be particularly bad if
you're watching a streamed version of a video - and especially if it's
live. The compression algorithms are just set to work "averagely" and that
can lead to bad compression.

I watched a recorded-as-live version from Sky in the UK in HD and there was
lots of blockiness in the dark scenes. Sky's picture is decent, but they
compress too much. I remember seeing the same years ago watching Das Boot
on DVD with submarines floating around in murky waters. Compression just
does a really bad job unless someone spends a lot of time doing it well.
When the BluRays of GOT come out (I've been buying them all), the picture
will undoubtedly look better.

I think that as well as for artistic reasons, they chose darkness to cover
up CGI issues. Since this was such a CGI-heavy episode that in full
brightness I suspect that it wouldn't look as good. But add darkness and a
snowstorm, and you hide a lot of the joins.

But this was definitely a dark episode. I watched in a darkened room with
the curtains drawn and didn't have too many problems. I could see what was
happening when I was supposed to. I think some sections, they were trying
to convey confusion in the heat of war. I have a circa 2012 Samsung TV - so
nothing too high end. I definitely wouldn't want to watch on a shiny laptop
screen or an iPad. But yes, this would look awesome on an OLED screen. But
those screens are four figures.

The sound, by the way, is exceptional. If you have a separates system, it
really makes a difference. I invested in a Denon Atmos enabled receiver a
few months ago, and I can feel the room shake!

Adam