On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 8:35 PM Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a couple of observations here about Kevin's commentary.
> Kevin calls her the worst he saw. And he also noted stations have been
> hurt by budget cuts.
> Brittney Hopper is a freelancer who works for the station. She's not
> listed on the station's roster of anchors and reporters.
> https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/station/cbs-kcal/
> If you take a look at her Instagram page, it looks like she is basically a
> red carpet interviewer. They hire her to be the 9-pound blonde to shove a
> microphone in the faces of Brad and Leo and the Jennifers.
> https://www.instagram.com/brittneyhoppertv
> Now, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but Kevin, how many local news
> sources do you subscribe to? Because this is the result of free news on the
> internet.  News outlets are struggling to survive. And they're doing it
> with fewer resources.
> You can't "subscribe" to a TV station, but since the beginning of
> television, they have used print publications to develop their stories. As
> newspapers wither, television news coverage suffers as well.

I believe I said Brittney was typical of what I saw, not that she was the
worst, but that what I saw as a whole (including her) was some of the worst
reporting I’ve ever seen.

The only local news outlet I subscribe to is KPCC/LAist, but the sort of
reporting they do isn’t what was called for in this instance. Although they
have done some interesting segments about the protests, what I specifically
needed last weekend were reporters with immediate on-site knowledge of the
region, how local government works, the laws regarding protesting, and
which law enforcement agencies had jurisdiction. I didn’t need
man-on-the-street fluff-pieces or panel discussions with various
minorities... I’m not saying those sorts of stories aren’t beneficial, but
what I needed to know was “Is it safe to leave my fiancée and drive home?”
To answer that question, a news outlet needed a working knowledge of cities
and counties, who oversaw each law enforcement agency, how to obtain
reliable information on the ground and from official sources, and some
connection to the African-American community at the heart of the protests.
And that’s just not KPCC.

When it comes to the local papers, the LA Times and OC Register have
financial backers... money isn’t their problem, allocating resources is.
Both focus on what sells papers and drives traffic to their websites, not
on actually informing the public. And the less said about the Inland
Empire’s Press Enterprise, the better.

For a couple years, HuffPo had some decent blogger-journalists covering Los
Angeles who seemed to understand local government and the various
communities, but that was several years ago when the site had a very
different mission.

I’m aware that freely distributed information online has hurt traditional
journalism, but most of that is due to traditional journalism dragging its
feet into the 21st century. They spent 15 years refusing to develop an
online presence; in that vacuum, their content was usurped and shared
anyway. There is much to be said about aggregator sites that copy and paste
content, effectively stealing it so they can benefit from the hard work of
others, but frankly I just don’t see too many  “others” doing the hard
work. I can count on my hands the number of journalists currently producing
content worth paying for... only a couple of them are based in Southern
California (and none of them are in Atlanta or DC, either). The problem of
journalists’ work getting stolen is secondary to journalists being
genuinely bad at being journalists.

40-years-ago, CNN debuted. They had reporters assigned to beats; they had
experts covering topics they spent their lives learning about. Not every
story was considered “breaking news.” It wasn’t perfect, but I’m not asking
for perfection. I’m asking for a news outlet where people know what they
are talking about... or they don’t talk about it.

This week at work I had CNN on when Minnesota announced the charges filed
against the four cops responsible for killing George Floyd. They had a
panel of pundits, most of them lawyers, one of them Jeffrey F*cking Toobin,
who in 25 years has only gotten dumber. Tossed into the mix was a female
lawyer whose name now eludes me, but she had practiced law in Minnesota,
knew the distinctions between the types of 2nd degree murder charges unique
to the state, and understood what the charges meant... she was the ONLY
person who should have been on the air on CNN at that moment, but she had
to share time with a half dozen bloviating morons like Toobin. Then,
because CNN always has to make it about CNN, they stopped talking to the
lawyers (including the informed one from Minnesota) so that Wolf Blitzer
could interview Don Lemon about what he thought of the charges against the
officers. At that moment, the last thing anybody watching the news needed
to know was Don Lemon’s opinion about anything. In fact, at any moment in
the past, present, or future, the last thing anybody watching the news will
need to know is Don Lemon’s opinion on anything.

I appear to have drifted a bit off topic. I’ve had kind of an odd day.