I think it gets a bit more complicated than has been portrayed. The
original reports suggested that it was about Basil saying, "Don't mention
the war!" to some German guests at his hotel. This episode has become so
famous in British culture for this scene that it trumps everything else.
The major does use offensive racist language that today simply wouldn't be
allowed to be broadcast pre-watershed (pre-9pm) in the UK. And that
episode, which is in pretty solid rotation on channels like Gold in the UK,
is regularly edited to remove that language. So this is nothing really new.

I do think that leaving it in situ on streaming platforms seems more
sensible. But language does change, as does our reactions to what that
language conveys. We've also seen a number of other comedies like Little
Britain (something I've never liked) and Bo' Selecta being withdrawn from
iPlayer, Netflix and All4 since characters appear in blackface. Last night
on Newsnight, a talkshow presenter who was mimicked on Bo' Selecta by the
white impressionist Leigh Francis, explained how her kids were bullied at
school over the portrayal. Both of those series aired in the early 2000s.
Not exactly an age ago.

Sadly, I'm not sure that Cleese would be my go-to for the last word on this
sort of thing today.