Before I begin to try to unpack this, I will note that, just like with HBO
Max and "GWTW" (and I will caveat that I am very much behind on that
thread, so if this was raised there, apologies), the fundamental point of
the stories, the actual press release, is repeatedly quoted without being
ever linked to or printed in its entirety in stories about it. This
continues to infuriate me from a journalistic perspective. The web is not a
piece of paper: you have as many pixels as you need to republish the item
in question. If organizations (WarnerMedia and the BBC) refuse to publicly
release the statement (my quick look couldn't find either), then I expect
journalists and outlets writing about the item to share it.

(Adam, please keep me honest here.)

Since no one from the BBC will actually identify the specific problematic
item(s) beyond "racial slurs", let's assume, as Adam says, that it's not
about the variations on the "Don't mention the war" jokes (since the third
act becomes unwatchable without them) and instead refers to the Major's
conversation with Basil about halfway through act one. In the middle of
telling a story about a woman, he diverges into a back-and-forth between
them. It's a 19-second clip. You could excise it easily enough and have no
clue it wasn't there unless you knew about it. And it sounds as though John
Cleese (through his management company) approved of a version
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Germans#Production> that removed this
clip in 2013. To take a blind stab at this: I'm guessing that people
guessed it was the "don't mention the war" jokes because Cleese had
previously blessed removing the clearly-offensive-then-and-now jokes.

It appears that Gold has two parts to it: the channel and the on-demand
library. On the channel, it sounds to me like both versions of the episode
aired, with the version depending on the time of day. It reads as though
the unedited version was in the on-demand library, and that was removed.

To keep to the item at hand: this *still* seems absolutely stupid. How hard
would it be to just replace the unedited version with the authorized edited
one and put an intertitle of "This episode has been slightly edited for
content." at the start? To pull the entire episode in a knee jerk reaction
is the Clear Channel memorandum
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_memorandum> all over again.

This is easily solvable to me by asking Cleese to confirm in 2013 he
approved removing the jokes. If he did, then the BBC are morons. If he
didn't, then ask him if it's okay now. If he says yes, then put it back; if
they won't, then the BBC are morons. If he says no, then Cleese is the
moron.

Idiots keep pissing me off. One of these days I'll start to get over it.
Today ain't it.