Not to defend that mindset at all, but I grew up in La Mirada, which is
about as far south as a person can go in Los Angeles County before crossing
the Orange Curtain.

When we moved into our house in 1962, the realtor proudly told my mother
that there was an agreement that the first one of them who sold a house to
a Negro would be blackballed by the others.

There wasn't a Black family in town until 1972. A coalition of town fathers
(among them a U.S. Congressman and the high school football coach) burned a
cross on their lawn. It was we;-known throughout the town who had done it,
but there was no way to get the case taken on by the authorities (who were,
needless to say, in the bag).

So naming an airport--or anything--for any racist in that period wouldn't
have given anyone a second thought--especially an airport right next door
to Irvine, which was incredibly restricted until even more recently.

--Dave Sikua