I was in middle school English when Challenger happened; they ended up sending
us home early that day.

Like Kevin, I slept through the first couple of hours of 9/11.  When I woke up
around 11, I had a breathless message from a friend telling me to turn on the
TV because something terrible had happened.  Once the tube warmed up, whatever
channel I was on was showing the Pentagon, and as I stepped up through the
channels to get to my station, each channel along the way happened to be either
on the Pentagon or in-studio anchors, leaving me to think “Well, a plane
crashing into the Pentagon certainly is tragic, but it’s not that big a deal."
Then I hit the Home Shopping Channel and saw they’d shut down and knew there
must be more than what I’d seen.  One of the weirdest days I’ve ever had at
work.

And Stan, I got the reference as soon as I saw “Texxon”.  Still one of my
favorite bits of SNL of all time.