I am a sports fan, but have never been into motor sports. I’ve never been a
“car guy”. I usually watch the Indy 500, occasionally the Daytona 500, have
had zero interest in F1. That changed a little last year when I saw Ford v
Ferrari, which I thought one of the five best films of the year.

Then I stumbled upon the two seasons of this F1 Doc on Netflix last week,
and just inhaled it. It’s coproduced with F1, and is not perfect, as in
spots it’s purpose as an extended commercial for a multi billion dollar
corporation shines through. But that is tolerable, because it really makes
the sport accessible, in my experience for the first time.

I don’t know enough about documentary film making to articulate why this
show is so effective. There isn’t really a narrator, though they use bits
of interviews with a racing journalist to provide context and connection.
The racing footage is exciting, and it nicely cuts out all the long boring
parts.

The show does not really want to make me watch F1 ( I am trying to avoid
spoilers on what happened in the 2020 season, if there was a season). What
it does is make me want to see Season 3 of this show.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile