On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 4:45 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I was always a Mary Ann guy...
>
> When I was a kid most boys my age were strongly Ginger, then sometime in
> my 20s the tide shifted toward Mary Ann. I was never sure if that was a
> developmental (guys gradually maturing out of a sex pot obsession) or
> cultural (tide turning away from the more artificial, manufactured persona
> towards a putatively more natural and honest appeal) effect.

I'm surprised there was a pro-Ginger faction. I always thought the Ginger
vs Mary Ann question was extremely biased toward Mary Ann because Ginger
was aloof, self centered, and high maintenance. Mary Ann was independent
and accessible.

I also Ginger vs Mary Ann came at the end of a singular White cultural
phenomenon. From watching movies from the decades preceding the 1950s we
see diversity in what was seen as sexy in White women. When Marilyn Monroe
emerged it's like she generated a gravity field around her. For the culture
her persona defined sexiness and women were seen as sexy when trying to be
like her. That template didn't break until the mid-60s when youth culture
promoted other looks as sexy. Ginger was Monroe style and Mary Ann was
closer to the new sensibility.