I actually would agree with PGage's "developmental" supposition. Back In the
mid-1980s when I was a pre-teen watching "Gilligan's Island" reruns in the
afternoon on a local independent station, I was more attracted to Ginger -- she
was the more obviously sexy of the two, so she was easier for my
still-developing brain to latch onto.

As I got older, the scales fell from my eyes, and I could see the considerable
charms of Mary Ann. (And it seems so obvious now: Gilligan, the pies she keeps
making you are supposed to be a signal!)