Agreed. Would be great if this signaled a return to serious local news.

The LAT, not surprisingly, frames this move  as a response to their
investigations into gender bullying and discriminatory racial practices in
the CBS Department.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-04-15/cbs-tv-stations-combines-cbs-news-wendy-mcmahon-neeraj-khemlani-dunn-friend-times-investigation

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 2:21 PM Mark Jeffries <spotligh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's interesting is that CBS is going back to having News control the
> owned stations' local news shops--something they and NBC did back in the
> 50s and 60s, until the ABC-owned stations, which news shops weren't
> controlled by the news department, changed local news forever with the
> "Eyewitness News" format (and what was called disparagingly back then
> "happy talk").  Eventually, News let go of the local departments and CBS
> and NBC-owned stations continued to have soft  ratings while ABC's stations
> continued to dominate in those markets (although "happy talk" per se at its
> worst eventually disappeared).  Is CBS going to try to rebuild the local
> shops as serious news outlets like in the Cronkite days?
>
> Mark Jeffries
> spotligh...@gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 2:53 PM Diner <bwayst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dan Rather and Connie Chung?
>>
>> Seriously, this is the first I've heard about Zirinsky leaving. Sounds
>> like it was not the smooth match that had been expected.
>>

>> On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 3:26:34 PM UTC-4 steve...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look at this story from the Poynter Institute
>>> https://www.poynter.org/newsletters/2021/cbs-news-names-a-new-president-and-its-actually-two-people/

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/ec028554-b959-4d8d-ac61-7a5850f3fa6en%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/ec028554-b959-4d8d-ac61-7a5850f3fa6en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAJ_uKi8sp3bCeD5vYjaVqK0y%2BJUE90pr74iboadsqm-%3DMBLZOQ%40mail.gmail.com