The “local shops” have no budgets, and have either fired or forced into
retirement all the veterans with experience doing actual news. My guess is
they will further consolidate news, one “local” producing stories for
entire regions (i.e. the entire Midwest gets a single assignment editor),
stripping away community studies and local identity.