To ask these questions I have to admit that I watch The Great Food Truck
Race. I noticed earlier this week that somehow a whole season had built up
on my DVR unwatched (apparently aired ~March-May?). Most often this “Race”
takes place on the West Coast, or in warm climates. This season is in
Alaska. I have questions (No spoilers below about the outcomes, in case
anyone watches this):

1. When was this filmed? I suppose it tends to be chilly in Denali most
times of the year, but from what was shown it appeared to be Fall or
Winter, which would make it late 2020 or maybe early 2021.

2. Did they select Alaska specifically because of fewer COVID restrictions?
I am often doing other things while watching shows like this, so may have
missed it, but I did not catch any mention of COVID. The competitors did
not wear masks while cooking in their trucks, or when they went outside to
hawk and sell, or even when buying supplies in the Market. However
occasionally they would be shots of contestants taking off a mask while
coming into their truck, and some (not most) people on the streets could be
seen wearing masks.

3. I’m sure Alaska did have lower COVID rates than, say California for much
of 2020, and even less restrictive pandemic rules, but was it really a good
idea to film this type of show even there? Top Chef is airing now, and they
made it clear that they filmed in Portland in a bubble (they order online
from Whole Foods, all judges live in the Bubble, they are tested
repeatedly). I guess Tyler Florence is not as woke as Tom and Padma.

5. On a non COVID note, does a Reality Show like this meet the definition
of a Game Show for the purposes of federal regulation? More specifically,
are the producers allowed to manipulate the outcome for dramatic or
entertainment purposes?

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile