While we're still in a position where not even all events have equal
numbers of competitors of both sexes, I think there's still plenty for the
Olympics to do. "Beach" sports undoubtedly play on the sexualisation of
competitors, and has been used as a selling point the whole way through,
not least by the governing bodies of those sports. (I note that FIFA has a
"Beach Football" [Soccer] competition, but it doesn't get to be at the
Olympics. But then they wear regular kit - just going barefoot.)

In terms of audience numbers, I would argue that there is absolutely no way
to prove (or disprove) any relationship between competitors' attire and
audience numbers. On the other hand, there are some significant things that
would seem highly likely to impact of audience figures from cycle to cycle:

- The Olympics are every 4 (or 5) years and the media landscape changes
massively between Olympic cycles. It's changing as fast now as it has ever
done, so cycle to cycle comparisons are near impossible. Viewers just watch
TV differently now. And that change is ongoing.
- The Olympics are held in different countries and therefore different
timezones each year. Even allowing for the fact that the IOC do things like
run swimming finals in the morning in Tokyo to hit US primetime, nothing
beats the Games being live in primetime in your region. Delayed coverage
only goes so far in a world with smartphones and instant results. If I
already know that Russia won the gymnastics team gold, maybe I don't bother
tuning in?
- Each Olympic cycle brings its own set of competitors and countries'
sporting strengths. Four years (or five) is a long time, and in many
sports, competitors only get one or two bites of the Olympic cherry. It's
only the rarest of athletes who compete in many more. So perhaps a dominant
swimmer from your country might bring record ratings in Rio, but five years
later in Tokyo, the new swimming superstar comes from somewhere else and
previous local interest in swimming will have waned a bit as a consequence.

Those would seem to me the key factors that determine general audience
interest in Olympic cycles. Not viewers turning off because the German
gymnastic team is wearing unitards.

Adam