It dates back to 1988 in Seoul, when the track finals were shifted to the
morning local time, to be in US Eastern prime time.

John

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM danieland...@gmail.com <
danielanderson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has the swimming always been in the morning to accommodate NBC? In
> 2008, Dick Ebersol, the(then) chairman of NBC Sports, had secured the
> support of the International Olympic Committee for the critical move of the
> finals of the key television sports of swimming and gymnastics to morning
> hours in China so they could be shown live in prime time in the United
> States. So whoever succeed him has done the same thing with swimming, since
> it brings in more viewers.
> On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 4:01:09 PM UTC-4 Kevin M. (RPCV) wrote:
>
>> And the ratings are in
>>

>> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/nbcuniversal-tokyo-olympics-make-goods-advertising-1235028563/
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Adam! This was really helpful. I thought the lack of national
>>> boosterism was just British reserve and good manners, but I should have
>>> know that never stopped the British Empire from looking after its own
>>> interests.
>>>
>>> Definitely some of the NBC commentators are at home in the US, but there
>>> are some on site. It seemed to me that the main commentators for the
>>> cycling road races (which I watched on USA tv I think) were not anywhere
>>> near the course; (they did have an on site reporter near the finish line),
>>> to which I attribute their failure to describe/comment on an interesting
>>> feature of the end of the women’s race. Also, in a newsworthy development
>>> in the gymnastics competition today (I got up early this morning to watch
>>> it near- live on the website) the commentators seemed to not be on site,
>>> and getting information fed to them piecemeal. While the NBC Gymnastics
>>> crew seems to be on site, even though everything they show is like 12 hours
>>> old on tape.

>>> --
>>> Sent from Gmail Mobile

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAKGtkYL1829%3DAPDV6HOzDr_PDSoiB5EP323H-cxCCUhw_H%3D3XQ%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAKGtkYL1829%3DAPDV6HOzDr_PDSoiB5EP323H-cxCCUhw_H%3D3XQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> Kevin M. (RPCV)

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/9f2ba65b-25b2-4c57-80a0-a5de1fc5b91en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/9f2ba65b-25b2-4c57-80a0-a5de1fc5b91en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against
incompetence, can you?" - Phil Tufnell