On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 7:23 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> She may have been hoping for a windfall like that, but what she expected
> was for Disney to honor the contract she signed that specified no streaming
> for a certain number of weeks to protect the box office receipts that were
> the main basis of her deal.
>
> I have a friend who has been a working (meaning, struggling) actor for
> 20-something years who posted a blistering take down of ScarJo for her
> lawsuit. His point was there were so many actors who would be happy to make
> a “mere” $20M for the chance to work in a film. I understand his feelings,
> and like him, so did not reply that I disagree with him. I might feel
> differently if the extra money was going to below the line workers on the
> film production, rather than Disney shareholders and executives.
>

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 2:16 PM Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't read the thread Phineas shared, but the Cameron Diaz deal for
>> "Bad Teacher" is well known. when ScarJo negotiated the deal, this is
>> probably what she was expecting. Enough money she never had to work again.
>>

>> https://www.businessinsider.com/16-of-the-highest-paid-movie-roles-of-all-time-2018-5#14-cameron-diaz-as-elizabeth-halsey-in-bad-teacher-7

Johannson wasn't expecting that windfall because the studios and media
conglomerates made sure it went away years ago. If she'd told her agent to
negotiate those terms they would have told her it wasn't going to be
possible. I neither know nor care how much Johannson is worth but I'd bet
she already has enough money to walk away and never work again.

Those deals where the actor took little up front and made a fortune from
gross revenues came from the early 90s when studios demanded from
production companies that they have major names attached to a movie before
it got a green light. The actors and their agents knew how much leverage it
gave them and they could negotiate those deals. The biggest beneficiaries
were Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The studios responded by turning
to franchise movies where the audience identifies with the character and
not the actor. If Disney can't come to an agreement with Johannson they
find a new Black Widow and after everybody vents on social media they just
move on.

I think everybody knows Disney is screwing the talent by opening streaming
the same day while pretending the only revenue that counts comes from
theaters. Somebody with deep pockets has to draw a line in the sand so they
don't get away with it and make it standard. It seems Scarlett Johannson
decided to take that stand.