I thoroughly recommend reading Matthew Belloni (late of The Hollywood
Reporter, and now of a new venture called "Puck" that launches this week)
who has an "invite only" newsletter. Anyone can get it :-)
https://whatimhearing.news/matt-belloni

This whole thing is obviously a stake in the ground from big name actors.
This might be specifically about Johansson, but it's also very much
about CAA and the other big agencies.

It seems pretty clear at this point that studios like Warners and Disney
are more concerned with growing their streaming offerings than worrying too
much about whether the next movie in their various franchises hits $1bn at
the global box office. They're playing a long-game and at this point it's
about growing subscriber bases even if it means a short term hit. In the
longer term, I'm sure that they'll be looking for things to even out. But
right now, they're getting rewarded by Wall St for those streaming
subscriber numbers above all other things.

So if Black Widow takes a bit less than it might have done, then so be it.
At least from the studios' perspective.

Add into this mix that the economics are different. I believe that of the
reported box office of a movie's take, the studio might get something like
60-65% of that number, the cinema chain itself taking a big chunk. With
digital distribution, the studio gets something more akin to 80%. So $30m
at the streaming box office is the same as $40m at the physical box office
to the studios' bottom lines. They can afford to take a bit less in the
reported numbers and still make the same. If you're an actor who's deal is
based off the box office take, then you're losing out.

(That's before you account for losses from piracy, which is suddenly much
more rampant given that perfect digital copies of movies are effectively
available day and date with releases).

The talent has all done deals under the old system, and we're in that
in-between moment when new systems need to be put in place for the talent.
In streaming for example, there isn't really even an accurate set of
numbers to go off. Disney reports some numbers some of the time. Netflix is
even more opaque. And companies like Nielsen are imperfect and in any case,
only report US figures, while the movie business is a global one.

This isn't about whether Johansson is being aptly rewarded for her work.
Stars get star pay. That's how it works. Disney's response seems
particularly ill judged to me - "salary-shaming" her to an extent. Would
they have done the same with Robert Downey Jr who made vastly more? The
agencies are definitely stepping up here, as they're going to need a system
that more accurately reflects the situation going forward with a mixed
physical/digital movie system in place. They probably need to do the same
with talent rewards for streaming only operators like Netflix, who have the
whip hand in having the platform, and the numbers.

And it's worth noting that while Disney did hold this film back many
months, it also did need to get it out because it does fit in with the
wider MCU in setting up other characters for future TV/film offerings.

Adam