Since none of us really knows the full details, I'm not going to speculate
here. And I see Baldwin has just Tweeted his heartbreak:
https://twitter.com/AlecBaldwin

One interesting thing I noted on Twitter elsewhere was Craig Zobel, the
director of Mare of Easttown amongst others, noting that these days, doing
gunshots in VFX is far easier than it used to be. On Easttown, all the gun
effects were added in afterwards.

https://twitter.com/craigzobel/status/1451405649070407682

And Rian Johnson, director of Knives Out amongst others, in response to a
VFX artist who similarly explained what's doable these days, points out
that when shooting on film, with only 24 frames a second, you might
actually miss the gunflare that you're no doubt hoping to capture.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1451438949440892928

While VFX adds cost, I suspect that these kinds of shots are pretty easy to
do. In any event, I'm sure it'll become much more the norm in the wake of
this accident.

Adam