I am no cheerleader for the NFL, ESPN, or Joe Buck, but I give Buck, Aikman
and ESPN generally positive marks for how they handled an unprecedented
medical emergency during last night’s MNF telecast.

As the severity of the incident became clear they were respectful and
restrained, and avoided speculation. When there wasn’t anything to say,
they noted that, and didn’t say anything. I thought it was smart to switch
to the studio and let those people fill time, rather than than have the
broadcasters on site do that. sideline reporter Lisa Salter really
distinguished herself, reporting what she could observe, filtering out what
must have been a flood of rumors and speculation, all while allowing her
humanity and emotion to appropriately come through.

One problem with the restraint they showed is it created a vacuum into
which anti-vax poison got injected over social media. Qualified physicians
could tell what had likely happened, but I think ESPN was right not to put
one of those on, and instead restrict themselves to what was actually known.

Hoping for the best for Damar Hamlin, and all the young people who had to
experience that. Until you actually witness medical professions engage in
life saving intervention, it is difficult to prepare yourself for what it
is like, and the sense that you might be watching someone you care about
die. I am often critical of cliched provision of mental health counselors
to the scene of emergencies, but this is a case where some of those folks
are going to need someone to talk to.

“The eerie and heartbreaking scene that unfolded on the field in the
aftermath of Damar Hamlin’s collapse during Monday night’s Buffalo
Bills-Cincinnati Bengals game presented a virtually unprecedented scenario
for ESPN’s football broadcast. As the network toggled between the game
broadcast crew in Cincinnati and a subdued studio set in New York, a news
outlet that had prepared to cover one of the season’s biggest games
suddenly found itself covering a medical calamity.

Viewers at home watched the developing story unfold slowly as commentators
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman and sideline reporter Lisa Salters received
information and relayed it in real time. Over the next three hours, the
broadcast was measured, informative and emotional. Analysts, hosts and
reporters tried to make sense of a lengthy delay and an initial report that
play would resume; grappled with the obvious severity of the injury; and
then finally made impassioned appeals for the game to be suspended for the
night, a choice the NFL eventually made.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/02/espn-damar-hamlin-bengals-bills/
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile