To add to your opinion: during a game on August 16, 1920, Ray Chapman of the
Cleveland baseball team was hit in the head by a pitch, collapsed, and died in
the hospital 12 hours later -- and you may notice that professional baseball
still exists. That said, that incident did prompt the major leagues to make a
couple of rule changes, and that's pretty much the extent of what I expect to
happen as a result of what happened in the NFL last night.

(True, the 1920 baseball game was not broadcast and wasn't even filmed, so
comparatively few people actually saw the injury and its aftermath, unlike last
night's NFL game... but conversely, there is a LOT more money involved in the
NFL today than there was in the baseball major leagues in 1920.)

If you're curious about the baseball rule changes: because it was likely that a
major contributor to Chapman's injury was the ball being discolored, the major
leagues banned spitballs, and instructed umpires to start removing baseballs
from play whenever they got dirty. (Batting helmets were not made mandatory
until 1971.)