Based on my experiences during my closed-captioning career, the CBS president's
statement "We worked with a closed captioning vendor that did not execute at a
standard to which we should rightfully be held" is code for "We didn't spend
enough money on the captioning for them to use a bilingual live captioner, but
I guess we're going to be forced to shell out the extra cash from now on."
(It's also highly likely that the Grammys didn't care enough about the
captioning to provide the captioners with a rundown so that they could prepare
captions for the song lyrics in advance, although that obviously wouldn't have
helped with the Bad Bunny acceptance speech.)