OK... ignore me.

I made your test program and it worked fine. So I tried connecting to my server with telnet and saw the expected message... So I checked the error function which should have been called on the client with the particular message to see it was as good as pass...

Sorry for all the messages, everything works fine, panic over!

Thank you for your help with this!