> On Feb 12, 2017, at 5:00 AM, Tristan Seligmann <mithra...@mithrandi.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 at 03:45 Glyph Lefkowitz <gl...@twistedmatrix.com
> <mailto:gl...@twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
> Yeah, this is a lack of test coverage for the 'default' case.  Technically it
> is a regression, but it's probably pretty unusual to use the default; point
> being, I don't think we need an emergency release here.
>
> The functionality that was removed was previously deprecated, so I don't
> think it counts as a regression.

The regression is that the default is wrong; we're effectively the one
"calling" the deprecated API by supplying that data.

The fact that users won't see this in this context suggests that our
deprecation process for user-facing command-line arguments is broken; we need
to fix this for future iterations.

> However, the fact that most people wouldn't ever have seen the
> DeprecationWarning, and…
>
> There's also a huge problem here with documentation, where `-d´ is a TCP port
> but `-p´ is a strport, and it's hard for end-users to get from the command
> line to the relevant documentation that explains what strports are available.
>
> …the documentation issue does make things more awkward than they needed to be.

I think the documentation issue may require code changes to be addressed.
Particularly, a command-line interface to say "hey, what endpoint description
plugins are available, and what do they do" would be very helpful to packages
like txtorcon and txacme.

-glyph