I do OR queries through the search API all day long and they are always
blazingly fast from my perspective.  Do you have some numbers you could
share regarding the time it takes to do the query?

Also, having the client do it in their browser through javascript is also a
very easy and viable alternative (of course, depending on the application).
I have used that method many many times as well.

-Chad