We do limit the number of updates a client can send over a period time
to prevent spammers. That time period may change, and the number of
updates one can post is much higher than most uses would dictate, but
if you really need to be posting that frequently, please apply for
whitelisting to lift the limit:
http://twitter.com/help/request_whitelisting.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.