I've never tested it but I would guess the API will always return a
truncated 140 character responses unless.
The other issue sounds like either a bug with how the API saves 140<x<160
character statuses or a bug with how they are displayed on the web. If the
second it should be taken up with http://twitter.com/help but you will have
to wait for Alex to confirm it is not an API issue.