If you're storing the password securely and only using HTTPS, I'd say
you're doing right by your users. In the absence of OAuth, that's
basically best practice. It's also a pattern that's been deemed
adequate by companies like Amazon, who collect and store financial
information from their customers.

Christopher St John's comments above accurately reflect my own
concerns. OAuth is not a security magic bullet, and it only encourages
phishing attacks. I feel bad for users that have given their
credentials to a phishing site, and we'll do everything we can to
educate them, but token-based authentication systems are not going to
fix this particular security problem.

Getting worked up into hysterics about boycotts is just, as security
expert Bruce Schenier is fond of saying, "security theater". It's the
equivalent of an apartment building's tenants telling their landlord
they refuse to use keys because someone's place got broken into.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x