It is entirely possible to follow somebody by not going to the twitter
website by using the API. The catch is that it is an authenticated
method, and so the UX for that is not so friendly if you want to keep
it off of twitter's website.  The other catch is that it is not
one-click.

example:

Have a link that says "follow me on twitter".  If the link is clicked,
an pop-up, or div w/ z-index of a billion, or, etc...  appears and has
a Username and Password text box and a button that says "Follow Me!".
They enter their creds, click the button, boom... you've been
followed.  Removed the pop-up/div/whatever.  It's done.

Now, when OAuth rolls around and becomes the exclusive mechanism for
interacting w/ the API, this becomes useless, and implementing a
"Follow Me" OAuth app would (to me) seem to be more trouble than it's
worth since the user would have to authenticate through twitter
anyway.

So...
Is one-click possible?  No.
Is it possible to do off of twitter's site? Yes.
Is it worth it? Maybe (my personal opinion is No).

Would I find a twitter page that is just has "Follow @user" related
text useful?  No, but I could see TjL's point if you've already
received a TwitReport and have already seen the info that would
otherwise have been presented to you on their profile anyway.

-Chad