There is always json.

Perhaps Twitter will consider implementing Protocol Buffers.

Google uses this lightweight protocol internally:
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/
I don't know how it compares to json performance wise though.

--
Abraham Williams | http://the.hackerconundrum.com
Web608 | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org