Uh, Twitter doesn't *need* to read users' minds, it just needs to
merge the two approaches together.  Before, Twitter auto-linked
everything, and manual replies were considered genuine replies even if
they weren't.  Now, it auto-links nothing, and manual replies aren't
auto-linked even if they *are* genuine replies.

So Twitter can auto-link manual replies that aren't specifically
marked as such (e.g.: by clicking the reply swoosh in the web
interface), and store that data *separately* from genuine replies that
are specifically marked as replies.  That is, the "in_reply_to" data
can have a flag letting the client know if the data was auto-linked or
if it was not.  Then, clients can decide what to do with that extra
data.

For example, there could be a setting in the Twitter web interface to
show "in reply to" links for manual replies *and* genuine replies, or
to show "in reply to" links only for genuine replies.  That way it can
satisfy me (and the other users that feel the same way), as well as
those that only want the most accurate links between conversations.

I (and some of my followers) think that more context is better than no
context at all, even if the context is only approximate.  Others think
that only accurate context is valuable, and approximate context isn't
at all.  Such a change would preserve *more* metadata and would allow
*both* kinds of users to use Twitter how they want to.

-- Simone