I'm adding my opinion to this thread after a little bit of back-and-
forth with @simX and @KuraFire on Twitter the other day. 140
characters is just not enough to convey a complete argument.

This change of functionality has turned a feature that was in a
definite gray area, to black and white. The application is no longer
assuming a user's intentions (possibly incorrectly), but requiring
them to assign the additional data if they wish. Yes, it takes
additional effort to create additional information, but saving and
displaying assumed-to-be-correct information as fact is wrong.

When you create a new message in Apple Mail (or any other mainstream
mail client I'm aware of) it is not automatically marked as a reply to
the last message you received.  You have to specify which message you
are replying to, and have the choice to start a new thread by replying
to nothing at all. Your solution does not provide this as an option.
All messages prefixed by a username will be treated like a reply with
no way to opt-out.

Your suggestion to include multiple posts on all an individual status
pages is conventionally incorrect. A direct link should only show one
status: the one you asked for. However, Twitter could take advantage
of the 100% accurate metadata present in the new reply functionality
and create conversation pages showing the thread. This, and any other
application taking advantage of the metadata, would be broken if it
contained the false positives your solution introduces.

Travis Dent
@tcdent