Best practice would be a read only OAuth app and run the verify credentials
method.

Previously Twitter (al3x) as spoken against using OAuth as an OpenID flow
but I don't know if this is their current stand or not.

--
Abraham Williams | http://the.hackerconundrum.com
Web608 | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org