Just got a report from one of my users that a message he posted
through our app made it through to his Twitter timeline twice. Looking
at our server logs, I can see that when he posted, we got a timeout
from Twitter and successfully tried to repost. My guess is that the
timed-out post actually went through, as did our report.

We don't want to be hitting Twitter with duplicate posts, which is why
we're careful about when we retry. However, I've seen references to
Twitter filtering out duplicates, so I was under the impression that
Twitter would detect and reject the repost message in this case. [1]

[1]:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/fdaf7454be8f9006/acc53333323f664a?lnk=gst&q=duplicate#acc53333323f664a

Am I understanding this correctly or should I be more concerned about
duplicate posts making it through my retry code?

--Eric