That's what I was expecting to see. However, I have a user who's
update made it to his timeline twice. I see that we sent the request
twice, 5 seconds apart, because the first one didn't complete. The
second request returned successful.

The user's timeline is protected, but the messages are id 1440033342
and 1440033271. I log the ids of successful posts and, in my logs, I
see the higher id (1440033342).

--Eric