While I don't condone mass DMs (disclosure: i have a "twitter groups"
site that actually allows ppl to DM to groups of people, but not all
of their followers), I'm kind of on the other side of the fence here.

I wish there was a mechanism that would allow people to DM me that I
*don't* follow.

I want people to be able to reach me via DM w/o having to add them to
my "following" and clutter up my timeline.  Having a public
back-and-forth

userA: "@jazzychad can you follow me so i can DM you?"
me: "@userA i'd rather you email me instead"
userA: "@jazzychad ok, what's your email?"
me: "@userA if you weren't an idiot you could find it in the bio link
on my twitter profile"

Dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have to follow a
billion people to make it easy for them to ask me something privately.

At any rate, if you don't want auto-DMs from somebody, just unfollow
them.  If you're too busy to unfollow somebody, you should just quit
the internet entirely.

-Chad