Seeing all the posts here, I'm getting confused as to what the term
notification means.  Does it mean, for example:

a)  the person has it enabled to get email when someone starts
following them

b) the person has it enabled to notices sent to their mobile phone

c)  something else?

Seriously, I've seen the term used in different contexts and the api
says "Enables notifications for updates from the specified user to the
authenticating user.  Returns the specified user when successful." but
then it says that notification is a "boolean indicating if a user is
receiving device updates for a given user", which sounds like it's a
mobile phone (i.e., device).

Can anybody clarify what this is?

Thanks
Allen