Allen,
Notifications are for device notifications (like SMS or IM) if the user has
them enabled. Following means that a user's updates are included in your
timeline. Notifications mean that a user's updates appear in your timeline
AND are sent to your enabled devices.

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw