Bill,
The majority of our developers find OAuth sufficient because they are
writing a Web applications. We are pleased that the deprecation of the
source parameter lowered our support load and continues to drive adoption of
our preferred authentication scheme.

There are of course other cases where developers find the current
implementation's beta status or browser requirement concerning. I have yet
to reject a source parameter request that provides a valid argument
explaining why OAuth does not meet the application's needs.

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw