What does this really mean these days?  Clearly your desktop app is
connected to the internet in some way at some point, otherwise you
wouldn't need Twitter.  So are you just saying that you never want to
have to display an HTML page?  What about a web based "activation
stage" that yielded some custom mime-type that securely downloaded the
keys into your desktop app?