Thanks, Doug. This was what I was originally thinking, but somehow I
convinced myself I was wrong.

Hypothetical: It kinda sounds like if I have a large number of
simultaneous users, I'm better off not being whitelisted. Say I have
1000 simultaneous users (humor me). If I'm not whitelisted, I can make
up to 100 authenticated queries per hour per user, since I'm using
their individual rate limits, but if I'm whitelisted I can only make
20 calls per hour for each of those users since my limit is 20k/hour.

Or am I missing something?