What HTTP response code are you seeing? What is the text of the error? What
method are you using when you see this error (is it only
friendships/create)?

Have you hit the follower limit [1]? Note: whitelisting will not increase
follower or update limits.

1.
http://status.twitter.com/post/98402835/a-note-about-per-day-following-limits

Doug Williams