When the earlier developer posted, it wasn't possible to confirm that.
In the time sense then we've resolved the issue, and the problem was
with a faultily implemented method on our app's end.

Our use of GET versus POST on a POST-only API method, plus the
method's false positive interpretation on the (actually error 401!
ouf! ) return from the server = confusion.

Thanks all, we're done and fixed here.