I've been banging my head against this for several days (when I've had
"free time") and wonder if maybe someone has already invented this
wheel.

I'm looking for a way to get @replies (sorry, I mean "mentions") via SMS.

*ahem*
               Ideally this would be an officially supported option
listed in http://twitter.com/devices :-)
*ahem*

But, since it isn't :-)

My idea has been to fetch the
http://twitter.com/statuses/mentions.format every minute or so, check
against a cache of previously sent "mentions" and send the new ones
(as DMs to myself, since I have DMs forwarded to my cell via SMS
already).

This seems HUGELY inefficient (i.e. there will be a LOT of minutes
throughout the day which return no new "mentions") but I can't think
of a more efficient way of getting them in a fairly timely manner.

Thanks for any pointers.

TjL