Joe - It does not provide any additional functionality in the sending
or receiving of Tweets.

For the purpose of explaining what I'm thinking of doing, assume you
have three groups: A, B & C

Group A: Your "A-list", you always want to see what they say.

Group C: High volume, little value-added people you are following.
For the most part, they just add noise and lower your Signal to Noise
ratio.

Group B: Everyone else.

As it is designed now, when you are creating Groups, you chose from
the entire list of those you are following.  So there's no paring down
of the list as you create groups.

In the application I envision, each person you follow is "assigned" to
a group.  Once assigned, they are removed from the "unassigned" list.
This would make creating and managing groups much easier.

Also, right now if you ever close a column, your group configuration
is deleted - if you have a lot of contacts that would require quite a
bit of work to recreate. With this application, the group
configurations could be written out into a separate file, so you could
restore it easily.