On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Stuart <stut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Much as I respect Twitter and the great people who work there, I don't
> buy that this would place too much demand on their servers. They
> already use Memcached extensively, and this would be a pretty simple
> addition to that data store.

For that very reason, I'm not sure it makes sense for third parties to
collaborate on a single-purpose distributed store.  There are user/account
properties that Twitter won't implement, at least not until there's a lot of
demonstrated value.  In other words, the developer community could
collaborate on problems that have marginal value to Twitter in the short
run.

Nick