Ok, at least that confirms my suspicions about why those updates were
not being delivered.

If I may make an argument to separate the policy between Search and
Hosebird (at least for the /follow methods)...

In the case of the /follow methods (as opposed to the unfiltered
/(fire|garden)hose methods), there is specific intent to get the
updates of a particular user.  Even if Twitter considers a user
unworthy of indexing in Search (for whatever reason), I purposefully
want to receive their updates and am stating as much by putting their
userid in the "follow" parameter.  In other words, I am opting-in to
get those updates whether Twitter considers them spammy or not.

If a user account is not in an officially suspended state, I think
they should be fair game for /follow methods.

Any other opinions out there?
-Chad