Good point about pending requests for protected accounts and the opportunity
to get parity.
My inclination is rather than overloading following and followed_by that we
potentially introduce a 'pending' attribute that is either true or empty.
Similarly we could add a 'blocked'/'blocked_by'.

These additional attributes sway me toward going with the
representation that (redundantly) specifies the values of each
attribute with the source and target sections as encoding this
information in 'source_has_a_pending_request_for_target' and
'target_has_a_pending_request_for_source', etc start to get somewhat
unwieldy.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter API Team