On Jul 15, 11:21 am, Bjoern <bjoer...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Argh, except that Twitter rate limits will bite me :-( What I have
> implemented is a search web site that shows associated tweets to the
> URLs, so potentially it would generate a lot of requests (one page of
> search results is 10 URLs to check).
>
> Better apply for whitelisting now...

Not so fast...

If I'm understanding you, the proposed solution is that for each non-
shortened URL you want to search Twitter for, you send it in a status
update, and then retrieve the shortened version by reading back that
status, and then search Twitter for the shortened version. You can
actually process 10 (or more) URLs with only one hit against your rate
limit. How? Status updates don't count toward  your rate limit
(although Twitter may separately notice a large number of updates
which are nothing more than URLs and mark you a spammer or something,
but that's another discussion).

So for 10 URLs, you post 10 status updates, then retrieve your own
last 10 updates in one call by retrieving your own timeline via /
statuses/user_timeline(and that's the one hit against your rate limit).