I think Dewald's concern is very valid - and even though OAuth might solve
it, the reality is that most (if not all) desktop and mobile apps are using
Basic Auth today for various reasons, so if you implement this policy as
described, there's a pretty high risk that many users can be locked out of
twitter from their usual ways to access it.

Also, again a reminder that AFAIK the last official status re: OAuth from
Twitter was that it is still in beta, and therefore not recommended for
production use - or has there been another announcement that I missed?

Marco