On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 00:06 -0400, Bojan Rajkovic wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 20:55 -0700, Duane Roelands wrote:
> > "I would start by looking at the OAuth spec at Section 9 - Signing
> > Process. "
> >
> > RTFM is not a helpful answer, especially when many developers are
> > relying on libraries that they did not write.  It's not unreasonable
> > to expect some advance notice on breaking changes to the API or
> > guidance on what specifically was changed.
> >

> > On Jul 27, 11:45 pm, chinaski007 <chinaski...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is frustrating for those of us relying on authentication
> > > libraries which now may no longer work.  The apparent solution is to
> > > either recode the possibly problematic library oneself, or encourage
> > > users to swap to Basic Authentication.
> > >
> > > While I certainly understand Twitter's need to ensure that everything
> > > is secure on their end, this is another unannounced API change (like
> > > the verify_credentials limit last week) that leaves some of us in the
> > > lurch.

> I'm with Duane here, some advanced notification of what's changed would
> be nice--my OAuth library code worked up until a few days ago, and now
> is suddenly failing with "incorrect signature" responses. It would be
> nice to know what exactly causes this without having to go read the
> specification head to toe to figure it out. A cryptic RTFM is not
> helpful.

Hmm. Seems to be a false alarm on my part, since tweeting works--I had
seemingly forgotten to URL-encode something when I was testing the OAuth
process by hand (my Twitter.API library does the URL encoding
programmatically, and sending a tweet via it worked fine).

My point about announcing changes and making what's changed more
explicit still remains though.

--
Bojan Rajkovic <boj...@brandeis.edu>
Biochemistry '10, Brandeis University