You do not need to be whitelisted to use OAuth or to have a source
parameter.

In order to have  custom source register an OAuth application here:
https://twitter.com/oauth_clients/new.

If you are properly signing the updates with OAuth and *not* with BasicAuth
then the from will automatically be used.

If or some reason it the source still shows as "from API" open a support
issue: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/entry or email
a...@twitter.com

Abraham

--